Be an Elangomat!
In the language of the Lenni Lenape, elangomat means “friend.” Think back to your ordeal. Who was your elangomat? Were they a friend? Did they make you feel welcome in our order?
Elangomats are among the first lodge members candidates meet. They help guide new candidates through their ordeal and ensure they feel welcome after they join our brotherhood. In other words, to be a friend and guide to candidates before and after their ordeal.
Part of being an elangomat is to go through the ordeal with the candidates. You may remember your ordeal as a challenging experience and might be hesitant to repeat it. However, there are many rewards to being an elangomat. Some of the rewards are:
- Making new friends
- The respect of your fellow arrowmen
- A feeling of self-respect and satisfaction
In addition to these rewards, if you are an elangomat, you get:
- A special elangomat shirt
- One patch of a three patch set
Please consider being an elangomat at one of our lodge’s three ordeals:
- Summer Ordeal on September 6-8, 2019 at Woodfield Scout Preservation
- Fall Ordeal on October 4-6, 2019 at Cherokee Scout Reservation
- Spring Ordeal on May 1-3, 2020 at Cherokee Scout Reservation